Re: FW: continued electrical woes

To: lottala@mail.auburn.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: continued electrical woes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:56:07 EDT
lottala@mail.auburn.edu writes:

<< I pulled the cover and checked the battery after a few "click, click,
 clicks" and in checking the terminals, the positive terminal was incredibly
 hot (temperature) after trying to crank the car. Does this mean a short? How
 can it be that it exhibits "dead battery" symptoms and then an hour later
 cranks like a new car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. >>

The clicking sounds almost always mean the battery is dead, BUT you have
other symptoms.  The hot battery terminal indicates a loose connection.  The
loose connection is turning the power to heat rather than sending it on its
way down the cable to the starter.

Pull off both battery connectors.  Clean then and the posts with some baking
soda and a small wire brush.  Check the clamps to see if they are cracked
anywhere, which would keep them from clamping tightly.  Replace the clamps or
the cables if they are bad.  (Replacement clamps are cheap. replacement
cables work better.)  Reconnect the cables and coat both posts and clamps
with vaseline.  This keep air from oxidizing them.  (I don't have much faith
in those cute little red and green fuzzy washer thingys.)

Should work now.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport