continued electrical woes

To: "'lottala@mail.auburn.edu'" <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>,
Subject: continued electrical woes
From: Brian Boss <boss@fastlane.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:37:03 -0500
Alan and everybody:
It sounds like you are suffering from the dreaded dirty battery terminals. As
many people on this list are probably aware, corroded, oxidized or otherwise
dirty battery terminals can cause all kinds of weird symptoms. If a car will
not crank, the first thing I do is clean the battery terminals to where the
mating surfaces are nice shiny lead.

It seems that the stuff that forms on the terminals can have all kinds of
combinations of resistance and capacitance and even vary with temperature. One
common indicator of the terminal problem is if your headlight are bright but go
dim or out when you try cranking. I have "fixed" several cars that the owners
were ready to tow, just by cleaning the terminals.

Brian Boss
Director of Strategic Alliances
Concorde Acceptance Corporation
7929 Brookriver Drive, Suite 500