Re: Clutch gone. (?)

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>,
Subject: Re: Clutch gone. (?)
From: "Stefanie & Michael" <barnes2@arkansas.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:32:06 -0500
OK, in addition to my last comment on the clutch.

I would not recommend using a roller bearing, if you look at the geometry of
the release arm you will see that the bearing slides across the clutch as it
is released, a roller bearing will not stand up to that as long as a carbon
one.

You DO need to remove the engine, while it is possible to remove the gearbox
without removing the engine you cannot put it back in without serious risk
of damage to the clutch and input shaft. Since you have to remove the
radiator, take off all wires and hoses to the engine and release the engine
mounts and pull the engine forwards anyway it is quicker to pull the engine
and gearbox as a unit.

Besides that the gearbox is heavy and it is a safe bet you will drop it on
part of yourself (you can't use a jack as you have to twist it as it comes
out) and that hurts!

Cheers

Mike