Re: MGB Tire Pressures

To: Nferre@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Tire Pressures
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:54:19 EDT
It really dependds on the tires and the tire manufacturer. If you still
have the original tires (I think not) Then the glove box label is the
best answer. If you have different tires than the original, most likely
sice I can't quite get to 20 year old tires, then follow the manufactures
recomendation. And also it depends on how you drive as well as the load
in the car. Obviously there is a 3 - 5 psi diff between the front and
back. I would have thought it was the other way round - but so be it.
Usually the end with the most weight has the highewr pressure. If the way
you state it is correct then you should have a lot of understeer. Since
most car makers think nobody knows how to drive they tend to recommend a
setup that includes a lot of understeer. I have a Midget and I set the
tires equal, about 32 psi, but then again the weight balance in a Midget
is closer to 50/50 in a Midget than in a B. Its that engine behind the
front axle stuff.  So I run closer to equal pressure.

I went to an autocross today (7th out of 19) and it was interesting to
watch folks changing tire pressures between runs. They were changing
pressure by a couple of ounces at a time, and a different rate depending
on what they felt on the previous run.
To a point (remember that) if you have a lower pressure you should have
more grip (radial tires only) If it is too low you get onto the sidewall
and sliding occurs. If it is too high the tire is too hard and sliding
occurs.

Now none of this has anything to do with fuel economy, which the car
makers will take into consideration. In that case - generally the higher
the pressure the harder the tire to lower the rolling resistance the
higher the gas mileage. For best fuel economy we should all be running on
bicycle tires filled to 150 psi. But again that is another story.

Now that I have you (and me) completely confused, try several settings
and see what feel best for the way you drive. And pay more attention to
the tire manufacturer than the 20 year old manual.

Larry

>Hi Gang!!
>
>I was hoping that y'all could clear up some confusion on tire pressures.
>"Original MGB" say 21F, 24R....the owner's manual for my 79 B says 22F,
>26R....and the label inside the glove box says 27F....32R.
>
>I am currently doing the 21F....24 R..........but I'm unsure as to what is
>truly correct.  Any Ideas??
>
>Nels Ferre
>Lake Mary, FL

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?