Re: MGA surge/overflow tank

To: Kristian Chronister <kristian@chronister.com>
Subject: Re: MGA surge/overflow tank
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:42:48 -0600
I have fitted my MGA with an overflow bottle.  It was not easy.  I used a stock
MG windshield washer bottle without the footvalve.  I had to drill a couple
holes to mount the bracket, and I drilled them in the same line as the bolts
that hold in the radiator (and yes I had to drill through both the radiator
flange, and the mounting area of the car).  It still was not easy because I can
hardly get the lid off the bottle as a cross sub support (under the carburator
fresh air hose) is in the way.

Much to my surprise (because I had also made this exact modification to my '67
MGB with great success) I have seen very little advantage from the overflow
bottle.  I am not sure if it is location or size or what, but my radiator still
runs low from time to time, and I have to refill it.  Further, the overflow
bottle is not always full or at some level - many times it is empty.  I can't
explain it, I just call it like I see it - and yes I do have a hose hooked from
the radiator overflow to the bottle, and a lid on it.

Phil Bates
52 MG-TD REPICAR (VW - Yuck, but it started all of this)
58 MGA
66 Citroen DS21 Pallas
66 Land Rover
67 MGB