Re: spark plugs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spark plugs
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:51:04 EDT
saidel@crab.rutgers.edu writes:

>   Now, if one of you engineers knows whether the discharge of one side of
>  the electrode promotes the nearly simultaneous discharge of the other, or,
>  does the resistance of one side of the electrode go close to zero during
>  discharge so the firing side becomes the sole source of the spark, I'd like
>  to know.

The spark will occur where the gap is narrowest. When air (the dielectric)
breaks down (ionizes) its resistance drops to a low value. This loads down
the voltage, making it impossible for an arc to start up anywhere else. If
you hooked up two spark plugs in parallel, the one with the narrowest gap
would fire and the other one would do nothing.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336