Re: spark plugs

To: "Matt Pringle" <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>, <Johnmowog@aol.com>
Subject: Re: spark plugs
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:39:47 -0400
The original statement is true..and accurate. Just not quite definative.

The multi- point plugs...do nothing more than increase
surface area where a spark could jump.

To be accurate... what you would see visually watching a mutli-point plug
( IE: firing/arcing) to more than one point has to do with many variables.

Yes...  electricity will ALWAYS seek the path of least resistance.
A Spark ...., just like lightning is a slightly differerent story.

As a spark plug fires, the arc jump instantaniously heats the air space
it traveled through as well as the finite spot of metal where it passed.
The warmer air path has a lower resistance, but the metal's resistance
rises at that finite spot of contact.
As a result, other spots along the length of the electrode now have a
lower resistance than the last spark point.

More electrode exposure area, within the same distance to the center electrode
just results in a more consistant arc power level.
...IN THEORY.

If you run a high spark plug...firing continuously... you'd see a spark that
'dances' around
at it's point of contact.

The idea of 'the path of least resistance' can be visually observed...as the
spark reaches the
electrode, One large spark,  will 'branch out' like tree roots within
sub-millimeter
dimensions the surface of the electrode.

Once again other factors contributing to all the 'overboard techno babble'
is how strong the spark is to begin with, vs. the spark gap distance.

...and on...and on...and on....

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT - Daily Driver
1975 Spitfire -in Cherry Shape     1980 Spitfire  w/  O/D - in re-hab
GT6 MKIII - in the works
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com