RE: Virus

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Virus
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:16:17 -0500
> Here are a few tips that I have learned that will help sniff
> out hoaxes.
>
> >"It will arrive on e-mail titled "CALIFORNIA."  IBM and AOL have
> >announced that it is VERY powerful, much more so than
> Melissa.  There is
> >NO remedy.  It will eat (DESTROY) ALL your information on your hard
> >drive and destroys Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet
> Explorer.
> >

> 1.  IBM is not in the business of announcing computer viruses.
> 2.  Ditto AOL
> 3.  Opening an e-mail (although this one did not say exactly
> this many do)
> will NOT cause a virus to activate.  Downloading attachments
> can activate a
> virus.
> 4.  The threat of seriousness "there is NO remedy" (oh my
> God, we're all
> going to die!)
> 5.  Look at the redundancy "It will destroy all the
> information on your hard
> drive"  AND "destroys Netscape Navigator and Microsoft
> Internet Explorer."
> If all the info on your hard drive is destroyed, wouldn't
> your copy of
> Netscape or IE be destroyed?  Where do you keep your copy of
> IE or Netscape?
> Mine is on my hard drive.

        Actually, Rick, you didn't comment on another tip-off:

"The message came from the Executive Director of the Florida Fire Chiefs'
Association."

        There is a Florida Fire Chiefs' Association, but there is no
Executive Director on their board.

Dan Pockrus
'74B whose faded Citron has been stripped and is ready for new paint