Re: Coil Question

To: nosimport@mailbag.com, neilc@tradesrv.com.au, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coil Question
From: AEKell@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:57:47 EDT
So what is the function of a Ballast Resistor?
( must have something to do with smoke regulation).  Just  disassembled a
Unipart coil as supplied by Moss for MGA's.  No sign of a resistor, just a
coil, a core and some prematurely failed contact clips.

Alan

Neil wrote:
>The Bosch catalog says the MGA requires a coil WITH a ballast resistor.
>Surely this isn't right. The one I took off my A was a Lucas HA12, and the
>one off the MGB (70) didn't use a Ballast resistor either. Can someone just
>clarify that for me that I need one WITHOUT a ballast resistor

Lawrie wrote:
I suspect ballast  resistors hadn't been invented when MGAs were in
production. Certainly, MG didn't fit coils that used them until 1975

Peter wrote:
Be careful how you read their instructions. Catalog writers,both Bosch and
Lucas, use imprecise language at best. Coils either HAVE a ballast resistor
in them, or require an external resistor. The language of "... X car
requires a coil with a ballast resistor" usually means that that a coil
that _contains_ a ballast resistor is needed. This is true of the MGA and B
where the wiring schematic does not show an external ballast resistor in
the vehicle's loom.