Re: Coil Question

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:28:55 +0100
A coil is either a 12v coil or a 6v coil.  If it is 6v coil used on a 12v
system then an external ballast - usually a length of resistance wire
contained within the loom - is required.  Whether a coil has an internal
ballast or not is completely immaterial, it is the coil spec that is
important.  The MGB coils were 12v (HA12) with a resistance of about 3.2
ohms up until 1974-ish (in the UK, at least).  Thereafter the 6v coil was
used ( 16C6) with a resistance of about 1.5 ohms.  The ballast wire starts
off as a white at the fuse block/ignition relay end and becomes a
white/green at the coil, extended on to a special contact on the solenoid
which delivers 12v during cranking.

Haynes refers to the 6v coil as "16C6 (6 volt with ballast resistor)" and
this *definitely* refers to the external ballast, not any internal ballast
that might or might not be present.

Forget the issue of internal ballast, an MGA requires a 12v coil.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)