Re: My Early BGT

To: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Subject: Re: My Early BGT
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:18:39
Rich,

GHD3L indicates a MGB GT V8, Mark I series (1962 to 1967), left-hand drive.
 The 84510 however places it in 1966 production, unless I looked it up
wrong.  Was it registered as a '65 model, or FIRST registered in '65?

Although I was alive in '65, I wasn't of car-buying age, so I don't recall
exactly, but if it was possible then, as now, to buy the next year's model
in advance, then they could have bought a 1966 production model and
received delivery in 1965 and registered it then (just a W.A.G.).  The DMV
may well have mucked up the records and had it as a '65, the DMV back in
the 60's not quite being known for perfection.

I don't know about pre-Abingdon.  Certainly bodies and whatnot were made in
various places and shipped to Abingdon for assembly.  It's possible they
were alluding to the very earliest ones, meaning the pre-production models,
which could have been created anywhere (though I'm sure someone on the list
knows).

hth,

- Tab