Re: My Early BGT

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>,
Subject: Re: My Early BGT
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:37:50 -0500

>Rich,
>
>GHD3L indicates a MGB GT V8, Mark I series (1962 to 1967), left-hand drive.
> The 84510 however places it in 1966 production, unless I looked it up
>wrong.  Was it registered as a '65 model, or FIRST registered in >'65?

snip...

Everything here is correct except it does not indicate a V8. They didn't
appear until 1972. The first GT was car No: 71933, built in September of
1965.

>I don't know about pre-Abingdon.  Certainly bodies and whatnot were made in
>various places and shipped to Abingdon for assembly.  It's possible they
>were alluding to the very earliest ones, meaning the pre-production models,
>which could have been created anywhere (though I'm sure someone on the list
>knows).

Right. The cars were assembled within the sacred bricks of Abingdon, but the
bodies came from finishing plants at Coventry, Swindon, or Cowley. The early
GT bodies came from the Pressed Steel Plant at Swindon.

Regards,

David F. Darby
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/mgz