Re: no power

To: Steve Buche <sbuche@molalla.net>
Subject: Re: no power
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:04:45 -0500
Steve Buche wrote:

> Imagine, if you will a 69 MGB, with no power - it starts and runs - and
> the following compression readings - (starting from the front of the
> engine) 145lbs, 150lbs, 35lbs, 35lbs. Imagine that :-)
>
> I am just starting life as a MG owner and need some advice.  Looking at
> the two shop manuals that came with the car I find little in the way of
> trouble shooting information and therefore, before I begin to operate on
> this LBC, I thought I would solicite some sage and wise advice.  Any
> suggestions?

Carefully set the valve clearances. Redo the compression test. Note if
the back two cylinders are still low. Squirt oil in the plug holes and
re-do the test again. See if the back two improve radically. If not,
it's probably the head gasket blown between 3 and 4 or burned exhaust
valves. If so, you might have really bad rings.  (But my money's on the
gasket).

Before you refit the head with a new gasket, make sure the head and
block are dead flat and there's no recession of the metal between the
pairs of cylinders and also that the threads on the head studs haven't
pulled up above the block surface (which requires chamfering the holes).

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com
Rocky's Mini Cooper Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/