Re: Chirping diagnosis

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chirping diagnosis
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:05:41
At 07:48 AM 9/5/99 -0400, Carl French wrote:
>I have picked up a chirping noise from under the car .... it is when there
is throttle being applied. It appears to be from the front .... It may have
started when I ground my bottom on a driveway/road interface that put a
real good redesign on my resignator. ....

Considering that you just whacked the exhaust system, it could be you have
dislodged the ring seal gasket where the exhaust pipe connects to the iron
manifold.  A leak there can chirp or whistle with heavy throttle and high
exhaust flow.  Or maybe a crack or hole in the front exhaust pipe of around
the front of the resonator.  It could also be a leak around the intake
manifold, but those generally whistle under low throttle settings when
there's a high vacuun in the intake manifold.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg