Re: Filter

To: "Steven C. Zabel" <stubalub@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Filter
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:12:41 -0500
"Steven C. Zabel" wrote:

> >> Steve,
> >
> >I once went through 6 or 7 fuel filters before I got all of the crud
> >out of the tank.  Clean the tank, blow out the metal lines, and replace
> any
> >flexible lines.  I've cleaned several tanks at home...
> >
> >Good luck
> >Mike Dwyer
> ----------
> When you were going through those 6 or 7 filters, how quickly did they
> gum up?  I just  put one in last night and then let the car run for a
> while.  It sounded better.  Then I took it out and it was a smooth ride -
> for about a 1.5 miles.  Would the filter expire that quickly, or should I
> start looking elsewhere?
>
> Thanks for the input,
> -Z

They can if there is enough gunk in the tank.  If it filled up that quickly,
I would guess that a tank removal for cleaning or replacement is in your
future.  Not a terrible job but it is not one of the pleasant ones, either.
Usually, the top of the tank has rusted through (smelled gasoline after a
fillup?) and needs to be replaced. At the minimum, take the tank to a
reputable radiator shop for cleaning.  You can make your decision about
replacement after you see what you have left.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO