Re: Trying to keep calm.. way OT, a rhetorical rant even.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trying to keep calm.. way OT, a rhetorical rant even.
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:06:05 -0500
REwald9535@aol.com wrote:
Neil,

> Let me tell you about my worst experience with the John Law.
>    I turned off the hiway onto a secondary
> road, with nothing but farms around.  I figure that I am out of the city
> limits and the correct speed limit is 55 WRONG!  I'm IN city limits and
> within 1/2 mile I have been pulled over by John Law.
> He tells me he has me on radar at 55 in a 35 zone and asked for my papers.  I
> hand him my California license and Hertz rental agreement.  He looks at my
> license and says "Are you aware that the state of California is the only
> state that has not signed the reciprocal agreement with the Commonwealth of
> Virginia?"

> Rick

I got pulled over for speeding in my 626. Ok I was speeding yep. No excuse,
but suffice to say was on a dual lane freeway at the time, and they were
pulling in queues of cars and there was cars in front of me as well. A
cynical revenue collecting attempt in it's purest form. Said they clocked me
doing 20kph over (100 in 80 zone) which amazed me and god knows how their
radar can pick me out of a line of cars - but anyway.
     Now I don't know about you people out there, but what the heck happened to
your local cop, who would say - "Look mate, do you realise your rego is
expired?, better fix it up".

Trying to keep my sense of humour. :)

Cheers,
Neil.

    Well, folks, what is the common denominator here?  All were wrong, but w/ an
excuse.  While the excuse/reason/alibi/explanation sounds good to you it does
not
sound good to the officer who, no doubt, has heard it all before.  I always got
little kick out of the folks that knew what they were doing was wrong for
everyone else but figured it was all right for them because their circumstances
were special.  "I know my license has expired but I am an important person", "I
know I was speeding but I am late for a funeral (traffic death)", I know I'm
supposed to have insurance but........"
    Whomever gave the advice about thinking about the times you didn't get
stopped was right!  BTW, the reciprocal agreement has to do w/ states honoring
another state's request to suspend a license if the cited person fails to appear
in court.  It's a short and sweet way to AVOID "taking a person to jail".
Actually, it's a form of bail bond and California doesn't go along w/ it.
    Obligatory lbc content for the list police:  It's 67 and sunny out today and
it's time to hit the highway.  The MG project doesn't run yet but the Aus**n
H**ley does.  Being retired does have it advantages.  Anyone want to go to
breakfast?

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Retired Kansas City, MO Police person w/ waaaaay too many years of traffic duty!