Spam on the list

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spam on the list
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:06:15 -0600
Oops, looks like one slipped through today.  Another one of those get rich
quick pyramid schemes.  I could just ignore it, but that's not my style.
What I always do is reply to the sender, including the original message,
with this statement attached:
"NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, p.227, any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of $500 US. Anyone who sends unsolicited commercial e-mail to
this account will be charged a $500 proofreading fee. Consider this
official notification. Failure to abide by this will result in legal
action."
In the event that they've used a fake email adress, I have a filter set up
to discard any messages that bounce back to me.  Maybe if enough of us do
this, these people will get the point.  Or their ISP will notice the volume
and cut them off.  It's worth a try.

Calvin Krug

"Poke me with a fork, I think I'm done"