Re: Spam on the list

To: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spam on the list
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:07:49 -0400 (EDT)
May I make a suggestion?  I adminster a list that has over 2300 members,
and I also get spam to me personally.  I deal with this junk every day.
Long ago I stopped returning it to the sender.
Reasons:

1) You have to actually find the actual sender.  Nearly impossible for you
for true spam.  Best you can do is find the ISP it came through (see recent
Sam Spade message).  If it came from an ISP send it back to abuse@<the isp
domain>.  If it's something else like a university, send it to
postmaster@<the domain>.  They can trace the message ID logs, something you
don't have access to.

2) If it's get-rich-quick you can also have fun copying it to the FTC and
SEC fraud divisions.

3) Never send it back to the spammer itself.  Chances are that they bounce
messages anyway, so it's a fruitless endeavor.  At worse, they may decide
to "get even".  This happened to me at one point - I shoved some spam back
at the sender and since then they occasionally send out spam *under MY
name*.  So, it's very dangerous to route it back to them.  Just send it to
their ISP and let them deal with it.

- Tab