Nth MGB Update

Subject: Nth MGB Update
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:48:47 -0500
My much operated on 76 B moved a little more
towards running today.  I got the ductwork ready
for the A/C and got the condenser mounted in front
of the radiator.

I followed a timing spec for around 65-70 and set
it dynamically at 20deg BTDC at 1000rpms.  The car
is FAST with the timing set at that.  However the
carb was too rich to I leaned it out.  First it
was too lean and the car would barely stay running
at idle.  Now the mixture is closer to where it
needs to be.  I will re-check the plugs for signs
of fouling after I let it run some more.

I checked for air leaks many times spraying stuff
at every possible location and can't seem to find
one.  However, I can't get the car to idle lower
than 1400rpms.  The idle adjustment screws are not
even touching the carbs and there's about 3/16"
clearance between the part of the throttle linkage
that touches the choke linkage (if that matters).

Fast idle is about all that is keeping the poor
car off the road.  The insulation made a good bit
of difference in terms of noise.  Hopefully it
will keep engine compartment heat out too.  The
engine sounds happier w/the SUs also.  However, my
exhaust is just too darn quiet.  It has an OE
manifold and downpipe and a single pipe all the
way to a single muffler in the rear.  The muffler
must be too strong or something (has less than
10000 miles on it) because I can't even hear the
exhaust.  What should I do about that?

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu