Still going..

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still going..
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:47:34 +1000
Hi all,

Well I took a half day today and worked on the A. I managed to get that hub
off on the weekend. So easy. I don't know why I had problems during the week
except it was much warmer on Saturday. A few hits with a rubber mallet
alternating around the rotor had the hub off. Removing the wheel bearings
from the hub was pretty easy, as was reassembly. I got one corner done on
Sunday, and after cleaning and repacking my first hub I now know where the
term 'grease monkey' comes from! <G> On the RHS hub I had problems with, I
found a partially stripped castle nut, and a slightly damaged distance
piece. Somehow it looks like this piece slipped and scored itself against
the bearing, which would account for the awful noise I heard a couple of
months back. No damage to the mating surfaces so I jut put it all back
together after filing off the nasty looking ridge.

The old pads had only about 1.5mm left on them, and it looked like they had
been this way for ages as the pistons had so much crap on them where the
obviously hadn't travelled for a long time. We will see if they are ok with
the new pads. Speaking of pads, I had to buy another tool to add to my
growing collection. A 3" C clamp. So I could retract the pistons all the way
to fit the new pads. The new pads currently bind a little on the rotor, but
I figure this will free up once the car is taken out around the block, seem
to remember a similar thing on the GT.

So I finally moved onto the rear axle, to replace the brake shoes and the
wheel bearings. Good lord. I borrowed a special tool from SportsParts in
Normanhurst which is supposed to aid in removal of the huge eight sided nut
that retains the hub. After an inordinate amout of swearing and a 1 metre
extension, I finally budged this thing. Now all I have to do is remove the
hub. I gave up for today after that. I couldn't work out how to get the hub
off. I tried putting the drum on backwards, (wire wheels) but I couldn't
lock it down tight. I was going to try bashing it with the rubber mallet to
see if it would come off. Can anyone recommend an approach or perhaps a tool
I can easily get my hands on? Barney's site recommends a slide hammer with
axle puller, but are these things universal? I mean most 'universal'
products I find won't work on an MG!!! :) I'm sure you all know what I'm
talking about.

I still feel pretty good tho., the front end is done, and *hopefully* I may
be mobile again on the weekend! WooHoo! :) I just can't wait to try out
these new carbs and anchors!! :)

Cheers,
Neil.