80 MGB LE - Brake Bleeding problem - Solved

To: mgs@autox.team.net, members@batans.ns.ca
Subject: 80 MGB LE - Brake Bleeding problem - Solved
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:06:55 -0300
A few days ago I entered a message in these areas detailing a problem (see
below) I had with bleeding my brakes.

Thanks to all of the replies I received I came to the conclusion that I
had let the MC go dry during the bleeding process (although I do not
remember noticing that).  In any case I returned to the last wheel I had
bled (right rear) and sure enough a great gob of air spurted out.  With
that, the brake pedal firmed up at its normal height.  Although I bled all
four wheels again no more air emerged.

Thanks for the many helpful responses.

My brake knowledge increased significantly as a result of this event.

Preston
I bled (per Haynes), in turn, left front, right front and left rear.
These three wheels went OK but I noted while doing the left rear that
while fluid was coming from the brake cylinder when the pedal was
depressed the fluid level in the master cylinder did not seem to be going
down as fast as it had while doing the front wheels.  In fact at one point
(after 3 or 4 pump-bleed cycles) I wondered if it had gone down at all.
As we finished each wheel the pedal got sequentially harder.

I then tackled the right rear.  With my wife on the pedal, I opened the
bleed screw a couple of times.  All of a sudden, per my wife, the pedal
dropped a couple of inches further than it had for the other wheels.  This
sudden new bottom for the pedal was accompanied by  what my wife says was
a clang.  At the same time I heard what seemed to be sucking sounds from
the area of the master cylinder and the servo.  After this event we were
never able to get pedal again even though I tried to bleed all of the
wheels

Fourth Question.
Does anyone know what the problem is?  And what can i do to solve it?

Thanks for your help

Preston

---
Our newly painted 80 MGB LE is on the road and our 62 MGA 1600 MK II needs
some work Betti Ann and Preston Smith in the Head of St Margaret's Bay,
Nova Scotia, Canada. email: prsmith@navnet.net