Re: MGB rear springs

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: MGB rear springs
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:19:37 -0600 (MDT)
I have no info on the different moss springs, tho I just bought the one
inch drop springs for the GT it will be a while before they see the road.
A note on springs in general, idealy you want to run as soft a spring as
possible.  What you want is one the is stiff enough to prevent dive when
braking and that will support the weight of the car well.  By running the
softest spring the wheels can stay in contact with the road better, then
you up the sway bar size to make the car stiff through corners.  Obviously
this varies somewhat depending on driving style and in the real world most
of us are stuck choosing between the spring rates offered for us by the
manufacturers.  Lower is definatley better because it lowers not only your
center of gravity, but your roll center as well.  The roll center is the
intersection of two imaginary lines drawn through the bolts of the lower
A-arms up front.  The lower this is the more stable the car in corners
(assuming everything else is set up right)  If I remember correctly Moss
only offers one 2" drop race spring for each type of MG (CBB, RBB, GT)so
presumably they have figured out what the best spring rate is and have
used it.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'74 BGT bastardization with big aluminum heart :)
'63 Buick 215 cubic inch 'heart'