Aussies: LHD Cars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aussies: LHD Cars
From: Neil_Oldfield@nag.national.com.au
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:21:27 +1000
<Snip>
Hi all,

I read in some Classic Car magazine that soon, Aussie's may be allowed to
register and drive LHD cars. Is that correct? Anyone have any solid
information?

Cheers,
Neil.
<Snip>

Neil

     I know that in Victoria, you can register LHD on full reg, if it is over 25
years, if it is less you can get club plates.  This only came in in the last 6
months.  Talk to your local authorities,as NSW and VIC have way different laws,
though they are trying to standardise them at the moment, this may be one of
them.

     As a side line, I knew one of the guys on the commitee trying to get an
Australia wide Law on LHD,  I belive that they got agreement from all but two
states Registration authorities, one of those was Vic, the other NSW.  I believe
that the Victorian Govt thought that it was dangerous having both RHD & LHD
cars.  There mind was changed after SA had LHD for 5 Years without a single
accident involving a LHD Car.

     The old trick used to be register the car in SA with SA plates, and if
pulled up say it was a relatives car, and you were looking after it while they
were on extended overseas holiday.

Neil
Melbourne Australia
64 MGB