re: Z-s to SU conversion info wanted

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Z-s to SU conversion info wanted
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:53:54 -0400
I  did mine about 6 years ago and, so far, have had no
problems getting through New York State Emmissions
here on Long Island.

I am fortunate enough to have a mechanic who is willing and able
to play with my carbs a bit to get the emissions within spec.

This year, I took the extra step of adding a generic catalyst
in front of my front muffler.  I ordered part # 81EE6155Y from
J.C.Whitney.  It comes with an integral heat shield and fits nicely
just in front of the frame cross member.

My mechanic said that he had to play with the mixture a bit to get the car
to pass,
but from the way it drove when I got it back, I don't think that he did
anything
dramatic.  Prior years, without the catalyst, I had to retune the carbs when
I got the car back.

My fallback on this has always been to reinstall the orignal carburettor and
catalyst just for the inspection and then swap back to the SUs.

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB