Re: HELP ! Cllutch master cylinder weep has removed my paint !

To: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: HELP ! Cllutch master cylinder weep has removed my paint !
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:37:16 +0100

"Louis Mehr (EML)" wrote:

> Good Morning MG World,

Hi Louis,

> I am amazed at how much damage this has done and how far the mess has spread.
> The paint has just melted off and become a wet gungy mess.

Non-silicone brake fluids are an incredibly efficient paint stripper.

> My questions are:
>
> 1/  Is some weeping from the cylinders  normal ?  (That clutch cylinder is
>brand new !)

No it's not normal-they should be dry. Is that brand new or NOS. I had
the same problem with a Triumph master which was NOS (£90.00!!) and was
worse than the old one.

> 2/ Why is this happening ? (I think that there may be too much lateral play
>in the pedal mechanism and so the piston is rocking around from side to side
>allowing fluid to pass)

Doubt it. The master pushrods have a heimshperical or tapered ends. They
can work slightly out of alignment. I suspect the seals may be (a) aged
beyond use, (b) badly fitted or (c) replacements of poor quality and/or
the wrong composition.

> 3/ What is the best way to clear up the mess ? (nitromoors,  primer,  paint
>then waxoyl?)

Sounds ok but I would add a thorough clean off with panel wipe or
standard thinners before painting. Brake fluid creeps into all places
and seems able to hide in the pores of the metal.

Hope this helps you,

Dave Hill
York UK