HELP ! Cllutch master cylinder weep has removed my paint !

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP ! Cllutch master cylinder weep has removed my paint !
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:46:44 +0200
Good Morning MG World,

Last night I set out to investigate why my LHD California 71 B Roadster felt
wet underneath but on the drivers side only.

It was very strange as the rest of the car was dry and there was no sign of the
garage roof leaking over the car.  Also I noticed that the paint in the drivers
footwell and pedal box area was damp and damaged.

Anyway,  I noticed that the clutch fluid level was low and, after removing the
brake/clutch master cylinder cover observed that fluid was weeping past the
rubber boots of both the clutch cylinder and to a lesser extent the brake
master cylinder.

I am amazed at how much damage this has done and how far the mess has spread.
The paint has just melted off and become a wet gungy mess.

My questions are:

1/  Is some weeping from the cylinders  normal ?  (That clutch cylinder is
brand new !)

2/ Why is this happening ? (I think that there may be too much lateral play in
the pedal mechanism and so the piston is rocking around from side to side
allowing fluid to pass)

3/ What is the best way to clear up the mess ? (nitromoors,  primer,  paint
then waxoyl?)

Thanks

Louis Mehr
Manchester