Re: Speaking of repair costs...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of repair costs...
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:25:10 +0000
Thanks Neil - you can get this answer along with the list :-)

Eric wrote:

> * Finally... I reversed out of a shopping centre car park hear a nasty
> noise from... back there!  No noise going forward, but it sounds like
> a grinding diff to me, in reverse.  I was doing a lot of wheelspinning
> (bad driving - gotta learn to back off when I lose traction) around a
> couple of tight corners and I wonder if I have injured something?

OK, bad form to quote one's self... but I need to amend this bit.

Another listen in reverse and the noise is NOT from the rear (must be
bacause I am Australian - back to front).

Letting the car slowly roll backwards in reverse gear and I hear a
TICK... TICK... TICK that is keeping time with, seemingly, wheel
revolutions or revs (I am in gear, remember).  Put the clutch in... NO
TICKS.  So this is the noise that I heard before but it is actually
coming from the FRONT END - eays mistake to make, eh, but it was a
grinding sound because it was going faster as I reversed faster.

Remember, I have just had the gearbox re-built and a new clutch
installed.

Any thoughts (whaddya mean, more information required)???

Eric
'68MGB MkII