Re: Starter testing part II

To: "Enrique Claure" <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter testing part II
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:35:53 +0100
Do you mean the pinion on an inertia starter or a pre-engaged?

On an inertia starter the bendix should move along the screwed sleeve very
easily, you only have a very thin spring to work against.  I had several
problems with the pinion failing to engage on a Mini many years ago, until I
put a very thin smear of oil on the screwed sleeve.

Turning the armature on both types will be harder than moving the pinion on
the inertia, but they should still move easily with hand pressure.

A multi-meter with a meg-ohm range should be fine for testing insulation
resistance.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )