Newbie questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie questions
From: "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:33:17 +0200
Hi ho,

I finally got around to picking up a convertible and I'm looking forward to
doing work on it, but there's one basic problem: I'm basically tabula rasa
in terms of car knowledge. I just never got around to hanging out with Dad
and working on the cars when I was a kid, so as a result I don't know a
whole lot more than how to change oil. I've got the Hayes manual, but it
presupposes a lot of general knowledge I don't have. What's the best way
(i.e., what book would you recommend?) to pick up a lot of the basic
knowledge / troubleshooting / general ledgerdemain?

That said, I've got two problems with the car (as opposed to my brain) that
I don't think should be too terribly difficult. First, when I put the key to
the start position (that is, the engine doesn't need to be on), there's a
knock about about maybe 8 Hz from the right rear of the car. It seems to
happen about 75% of the time, and I don't think it's related to how full the
gas tank is. My guess is faulty fuel pump - is this a standard sound for a
failed pump (this is the kind of general troubleshooting info I was
referring to in the previous paragraph)? Second, over anything bigger than a
smallish bump, I get a sort of metallic crunching from the right rear. This
one I assume is either a spring or a shock - easy to replace? hard?

Thanks for the help (and hopefully I'll return the favor in a few years when
I've gathered enough clue tokens),
Derek (78 MGB)

  _____
Derek Vandivere
The Big Picture BV
Internet Strategy Consultants

The Twinning Center | Kruislaan 400 | 1098 SM  Amsterdam | The Netherlands
(p) +31 (655) 367 917 | (f) +31 (20) 882 4476 | (fun)
<http://www.bones.org/dersk>