Re: Off Topic -- Static Electricity

To: richard.arnold@juno.com
Subject: Re: Off Topic -- Static Electricity
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 15:53:30 GMT
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 06:39:55 -0600, you wrote:

>OK, I know this is off topic, but....
>
>The BarcaLounger on Wheels ('86 Ford Crown Vickie) has developed some
>shocking behavioral problems, literally.
>
>Over the last couple of months (as the weather gets drier), I develop a
>charge of what I assume is static electricity which discharges when I get
>out and put my hand on the door (grounding myself).  This occurs whether
>it was a short or long drive (five minutes to an hour or longer), but
>doesn't happen during damp weather.

Actually when you put your hand on the door you are not "grounding
yourself".

All you need to do to eliminate (not cure) the problem is to remember
to have your hand on some metal part of the car as you slide out of
the seat. E.g. a metal door handle. Once out of the car you are now at
the same potential as the car and you won't get zapped.

At one time this was a common problem with some American cars and
particularly noticeable if you were wearing some of the synthetic
fabrics.

If you forget the process you will get a not so gentle reminder
whenever you revert to the former method of dismounting.