Re: Brake Efficiency

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Efficiency
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:46:33 EST
In a message dated 11/05/1999 7:28:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
simon_atwork@hotmail.com writes:

<< I have always been a little concerned about overheating the brakes (being
 drum brakes), but I now think I have my concerns mis-placed: I drove over
 the Santa Cruz mountains during the tour before the Palo Alto show recently
 with no problems, but last weekend, when I drove my '97 Voyager to Muir
 Woods, we arrived at the entrance (at the bottom of the hill) with burning
 smells coming from the brakes and distinctly less braking.  What good are
 ABS brakes, if there is not enough cooling and the brakes have faded? >>

I hate to start the brake fluid thread again (NO I DON'T!!) but which fluid
are you using in the A and the V'ger?  Chances are the V'ger still has the
original DOT 3 fluid that came with it new.  Flush it outta there and replace
it with a good DOT 4 fluid or a synthetic fluid.  (Do not use silicone brake
fluid, DOT 5, in a car with ABS.  The silicone lacks lubrication for the
hydraulic pump.)

DOT 4 has a higher boiling temp so there will not be as much fade.  Same goes
for the A, although I suspect the rears may be adjusted a little tight, which
causes them to lock early.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget