Re: Brake Efficiency

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Efficiency
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 09:47:16 -0600
 Uh, someone wrote that his Ply Voyager suffered from brake fade afer a
run thru the mountains.  He coupled this phenom to the ABS.

  Someone else advised changing to a brake fluid with a higher boiling
point to combat fade.

  Hmm, I learned that the cause of brake fade was heating of the
friction surfaces and resultant warping and lowering of friction
coefficient in the rubbing parts. Things have to get awfully hot to boil
the fluid!  I'd think that the brakes would have gone away before the
fluid boiled.

  I'd suggest that the Voyager's brakes were marginal for the load the
vehicle was carrying and that the driver didn't shift the tranny down on
the downhills in order to give the brakes a break (pun).

  Just my $.02 to get the controversy going again. ;^)

  CR