Re: Club Representation-West

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Club Representation-West
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:24:14 -0800
The discussion about club representation in NAMGBR for us folks west
of the Rockies has been interesting.  I've been looking for a club to
join, and, while I join things just for the magazine or newsletter
sometimes, I'd really like to be part of a group with some regional
activities.  I also think that affiliation with a national
organization is a good thing, if the politics don't get in the way of
the mission and goals of the club.

I don't know a lot about NAMGBR, but it seems to me that two ways out
of the impasse are either to elect regional seats (numbers determined
by regional membership numbers?) on the board and accept that there
will be less face-to-face contact by event organizers/board members,
or set up regional centers (with affiliated local clubs) that can
represent the National/sponsor  regional events.

I know that even at a local level, an active club is only as good as
the handful of people who do 99% of the work to make events happen.
Every couple of years, most of the clubs I have belonged to have gone
through the "Are we just a monthly club magazine for the apathetic,
or a real club that does stuff together with our cars."  Don't know
ho you can make a national organization that can do both without the
regional component.

On the local level, I'd like to find a group in my area (California
Central Coast/Monterey Bay/Santa Clara) to join--something along the
lines of the Sacramento Valley MG club.  Used to belong to the
SpriteMidgetOwnersGroup (SMOG), and kinda miss it...
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6