jacking front of car

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: jacking front of car
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:29:13 -0800
Howdy -- in keeping with the recent post about jacking the back of the
car...

I have an oil pan gasket which leaks (badly).  I want to replace it,
but I dont have the equipment to hoist the engine the inch or two it
takes to get at the bolts.  I was wondering about using a jack to lift
the engine, but I dont have lots of experience, so I thought before I
turn myself into a (greasy) pancake, I would ask you all!

Is this advisable?  Where might the jack & jack stands go?

Thanks very much

Bart

ps - thanks very much to those who responded to my previous post about
exhaust systems, I will let you all know when I get it done!