RE: jacking front of car

To: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: RE: jacking front of car
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:32:47 -0800
 Bart:

        What year car??

        The engine cannot fall out of the bottom of the compartment.  The
engine mounting points allow the engine to go up, but not down.  Late cars
(75-) have enough clearance to remove the sump, without lifting the engine.
Early cars require the engine to be lifted.  A wooden pad to spread the load
under the oil pan and a jack will lift the engine once the mounts are
disconnected.  It will not go up far, as the trans bell housing will hit the
fire wall.  The fan will also hit the radiator.  The critical thing is to
keep the engine up in the air whilst you remove the jack and pull the pan.
Never done that, but I'd imagine that wooden blocks between the engine mount
and chassis point would do safely.

        Jack stands would go under the chassis rails, just aft of the
firewall.  As far forward as possible, if they are too far back the car
becomes nose heavy and kamikazee dives to the asphalt.

Not a fun job.

Kelvin.