Re: spongy brakes and fast idle

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spongy brakes and fast idle
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:40:26 -0800
Congrats on the "acquisition"!  I'm afraid you may be in for some brake
rebuilding, however. As far as the reservoir goes, are you sure you
weren't topping off the clutch reservoir instead? That's what your
description sounds like. Take another look. The brake reservoir is toward
the center of the car compared to the clutch reservoir.

Assuming you do have a full load of fluid, the rapid leakdown of pressure
you describe indicates a problem. My first suspect would be the master
cylinder itself, but you really need to evaluate the whole system,
including the flexible hoses. You have a dual channel system, so the fact
that the pedal goes totally limp indicates the master cylinder is the
culprit. If was just one of the front hoses, I would expect you'd get
some resistance from the still-functional rear channel. Anyway, this
problem is not going to go away by itself, and is definitely safety
related, so you should take steps to protect your investment(s) right
away.

Depending on the actual source of your brake components (i.e. the
chemical composition of the rubber or synthetic rubber seals), you may or
may not need to stick exclusively to Castrol GT LMA brand brake fluid. I
don't take chances, I just always use it. Keep a small fresh can in the
boot.

Best of luck to (all three of) you!

Josef Kurtz had this to say:

--