spongy brakes and fast idle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: spongy brakes and fast idle
From: Josef Kurtz <kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:16:12 -0500 (EST)
greetings all!  i have been off the list for awhile acquiring a brand
new, late model 1999 wife, complete with school loans (DPO's?), odd family
members, and a collection of decorative pillows (can anybody explain this
to me?).  but, the body is in cherry shape, and the engine sounds like it
is going to purr for a lifetime, although i found i could get it to
overheat when i am not careful :)

but, on to more relevent things.  my 79B not only made it through the
wedding, but was a hit among guests.  but now she has some problems:

1.  when the engine gets warmed up, it seems the fast idle remains engaged
when i pull up to a light or engage the clutch (~1200-1300 rpm).  touching
teh gas rememdies this problem (~900 rpm), leading me to think it is a
sticky "something".  i have a weber carb installed.  help please?

2.  brakes.  i know this problem has been addressed before, but my web
browser is being finicky, and i have not been able to cruise the web.  so
i need help.  rather quickly, make brakes became very spongy.  if i engage
the brake slowly, they do nothing and the pedal rides all of the way to
the stopping point.  by pumping the pedal, i am able to build up pressure,
but this is quickly lost.  first thought:  low brake fluid.  ran to
auotzone and bought a bottle of COastal super heavy duty brake fluid, dot
3, like it sayd on the reservoir.( my resevoir does not look like the one
in the haynes manual because it is not slanted and instead resembles a
rectangle) (it is found on the right side of the engine bay-looking from
the front bumper-and is the closest thing towards the front).  this did
not help.

i have checked for leaks underneath the car, but have found no puddles.
have i collected air in the lines and need to bleed them?  is this
something i can do this weekend?  was dot 3 the right fluid versus dot 4?
how can i guarantee a happy and successful marriage?

thanks for all the help, and i look forward to joining the boston
chapter/new england chapter of the mg clubs, now that i am not picking out
flower arrangements.

salut!

joey
Josef Kurtz
                                        jkurtz@alum.mit.edu
PhD Candidate in 200?                   kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu
Program in Immunology                   1979 MGB:  Nikki
Harvard Medical School                  "Safety Fast!"