Rebuilding the motor on my MBG

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding the motor on my MBG
From: Doug McLaren <dmclaren@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:48:45 -0500
Hello Folks.....  I bought a '78 MGB last summer and my wife and I have
been really enjoying it. It was burning a bit of oil so I figured I'd
redo the engine this winter. I am really happy with the information I
have gotten from the folks on this list over the last 6 months and a
special thank you to Ben at BMC in Smithville, Ontario
http://www.bmc.on.ca . He has all the parts and lots of advice on how to
put them in.
I go out to my garage, turn on the "Oldies" station (It helps to remind
me of the days when I knew what a carburetor was) and get dirty.
It turned out to be a good thing that I pulled the engine and
transmission complete because there was no throw-out bearing left and
the clutch plate was well worn. I am now rebuilding everything. The
synchro is a little ratty into second gear which means I
will do my first rebuild. Ben has been holding my hand throughout but
knowing you folks are out there has given me a ton of confidence. This
whole project is taking me back a bunch of years and I am enjoying every
minute.
Bye for now and I have no doubt I will be talking to you soon.

Doug McLaren
78 MGB