Re: MGB GT Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB GT Questions
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:41:53 EST
In a message dated 11/23/99 3:38:17 AM, oldcars@newt.vallnet.com writes:

<< I have always liked the looks of hte GT series B's but never really
considered buying one until the last few weeks.  I guess I have a couple
of questions since I have never owned a GT

1)  For anyone owning one or having owned one, what are the pros and cons
verses the roadster (except the obvious of course).  Anything in
particular I need to look for on a GT verses a roadster (prone problem
areas, etc)?

2)  I knw the GT are not as sought after as the roadster and of course do
not demand the price but I have found a 73 that is fairly nice.  Paint is
presentable but not prefect.  The interior is real nice original that
looks very presentable.  New tires on Rostyles.  High mileage car but
engine rebuilt 20K miles ago.  New tires, no rust, no O/D, all gaugaes and
lights work.  Mechanically the car seems fine and the body is good but I
would probably want to repaint it in a couple of years.  All chrome is
very presentable.  I know it is very difficult to ascertain a value
without seeing the car but what would a ball park figure be for the value
of the car?  Or maybe a range based upon the described condition?

The roadster is great for bombing around town.  The GT is a real road car,
good for distance driving, quieter and more rain-proof.  Therefore,  a GT
without OD is a waste.  The frame is stiffer than the roadster so it handles
better in corners, but it is heavier so a bit slower.  My favorite is the one
I had for a decade, a 68, with full engine power and all-synchro tranny.
Price is a bit lower, say 10-20%, than an equivalent roadster.
To my knowledge there is no problem unique to the GT.

Jay Donoghue
72 MGB
66 Mustang