Re: alternator woes

Subject: Re: alternator woes
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:05:36 -0000
Charge not starting till about 3000 rpm, but then charging normally (i.e.
down to idle or so) is the usual symptom of a fault in the ignition light
circuit, which acts as the initial excitation for the alternator.  But yours
seems to be indicating it is connected correctly, and it is the alternator
that is not working properly.

Has the ignition light always done this with this alt?  If so I would
suspect the alt, particularly if the light didn't act this way with the
other alts.  If the light did act this way with the other alts then I would
look very carefully at how it is wired.

I have just (last night) added a section on the Ignition Warning Light to my
web site, covering both the theory and practice, including faulting
techniques.  You might like to have a look at it, select 'Spanners',
'Electrics' and 'Ignition Warning Light'.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)