Went to look at a '75 B today...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Went to look at a '75 B today...
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:10:53 -0500
And this what I found:

The car had 76k original miles on it. The car is painted red, but the paint
job is terrible (it was stripped improperly and some old paint was left, and
then primed and painted over). Interior was OK (seats and dash good, but
carpets were original and quite ratty). Electricals worked except for front
turn signal lights (were cut and never reconnected when owner was stripping
and refinishing the car). Started and idled OK (bit of surging at idle), and
drove OK around the neighborhood. Body was in surprisingly good shape, with
little or no visible rust. I checked the outer rockers, under the car in the
lower castle sections, and inside the car on the inner and top sills and
found no rust. A few whacks with a screwdriver confirmed that they were
sound. Floor pans and battery box in good shape and not rusty. No bondo that
I could detect with my trusty magnet except around mirror on drivers door
(good ol' crack of doom) and on the passenger side dogleg. The owner is the
third owner, and says the second owner told him the lower body was in such
good shape due to the dealer undercoating the car for the first owner when
she bought it. The undercoating is still there, but is pretty cracked. The
top was ripped and needed replacing. The guy was asking $1500 for the car.
So the car needs a strip and paint job (maybe a replacement doorskin for the
crack of doom and dogleg section for the drivers side), top, carpets, new
exterior chrome trim pieces, etc. What do you guys (and gals) think? I know
the '75-'76 vintage cars are considered the least desirable due to no
anti-roll bar, etc. Is the price good for a structurally sound car that
needs some cosmetics? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Craig