Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

To: "John R. Boehmke" <mtbills@mcn.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:08:24 -0800
John..........

I just went through this today! You are right, it is a conventional,
right-hand thread but it is probably in there too tight for you to remove
simply by applying torque against the gearbox/handbraked rear wheels.
There's just too much "spring" in the drivetrain.

The one I worked on today refused my 1/2" drive impact wrench so I had to
borrow a neighbor's 3/4" drive impact wrench. Does that give you an idea of
what you might be up against? So, if you have compressed air at home, borrow
at least a 1/2" drive impact wrench from your friendly local garage or tool
rental place. If you don't have compressed air, you'll probably have to take
the car to a garage where they can undo the nut for you with their impact
wrench. (I don't know if the electric impact wrenches work well as I've
never tried one of them.)

Good luck!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center