Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:43:33 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: <Ajhsys@aol.com>
To: <tab@penworks.com>; <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 8:19 PM

> No, no, no.  Do not squirt ANYTHING on the surface of the pads or shoes,
> except special brake cleaner.  (I now use Hog Wash!)

I agree on this one but you can chamfer the edges of pads and the (leading)
edges of shoes. Beware of nasty dust, though.

> Squealing drum brakes are caused by brake dust.

Don't wanna be pedantic but the squeaking is caused by vibration of the
pad/shoe against the disc/drum. Dust in drums promotes it.

> Disk brakes can squeal if the pad is not sitting tightly on the piston.
> There is an anti-squeel compound (I use Permatex) that acts like a glue.
It
> does not go on the surface of the pad, but on the back.

Never tried that but I use copper grease on the backs of the pads and on
their edges , where they sit in the calipers. It works for me.

All the best,

Dave Hill