Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:13:13 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: <Ajhsys@aol.com>
To: <davhill@cwcom.net>; <tab@penworks.com>; <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 11:02 PM

> << Don't wanna be pedantic but the squeaking is caused by vibration of the
>  pad/shoe against the disc/drum. Dust in drums promotes it.  >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Sorry, Dave.  That comment makes you a pedant.

Alright, I'll be a pedant if it makes you happy ;-)

> BTW, you are right about filing down the leading edge of the pads.  I
don't
> think it would help shoes though.  Never tried it.

Yup, it does work with shoes. I've had a few motors with squawking drums
(Triumph Herald, Ford Escort Mk. 1, Mini, etc.) and filing down the leading
edges not only prevents squeals but it also stops the brakes grabbing.
Honest.

Incidentelment, there are some pads for modern Brit cars which come with
attached glue tape-a bit like ultra-tough double sided. There's nothing new
under the sun, is there?

Cheers,

Dave.