Re: Intermittant Ignition Light

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intermittant Ignition Light
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 00:01:34 -0500
Before you go too far, check your belt tension.  I had a similar
problem almost leave me stranded when my alternator came loose and
caused some slack in the belt - and I was without a charge.

Second, check the voltage coming from your alternator.  Just because
it's rebuilt doesn't mean it isn't bad.  I had one go within a year
on my car, and it did the same thing yours did.  The light would
flicker at times, come on full-bright, go away for a while, come on
at half-power, then go away when I hit a bump.  Key question:  did
you give anyone a jumpstart, or did anyone jumpstart you recently?
I had jumped other's cars a few times over the span of this
alternator's life, and it died the day after I helped a neighbor get
started.

As for connections, I really can't tell you.  To the best of my
memory, the alternator has very few bullet connections in it's
circuit, but I could be wrong.  Start following wires, I guess.  But
before you get into the harness, you might want to try the other
suggestions first.

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata