Re: 70 BGT advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 BGT advice
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 00:57:42 -0400
Joe -

I can guaranty you that it will cost at least $3,000 to fix the rust
properly.  You might end up with a very nice GT for about $5,000.  That's
not totally unreasonable - but it presumes that the rust is not more
widespread than what is showing.  Check sills, rear quarters (including
areas around rear wheel arches), below the tail-lights, and lower front
fenders with a magnet.  A big plus worth a couple hundred: does the car
have overdrive?

Allen

>From: JTPAKI@aol.com
>
>Dereck:
>
>It sounds too expensive for a rusty car.  If it has rust that visible then
>the stuff you cant see is probably worse.  My opinion is let it go for that
>price.  I have seen nice rust free GTs go for $1700.
>
>Joe Potter
>

>In a message dated 12/4/99 9:49:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>derex39@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> For the past week I have been looking at a 70 bgt in the area (DC metro
>>  area) and I am looking for advice on whether I should buy it.  The vitals:
>>
>>  Plus:
>>  Very strong engine, desmoged and nice cam
>>  Very clean and complete interior (leather)
>>  New paint in last couple of years
>>
>>  Minus:
>>  Rusted through driver floor board.
>>  Rust near front of rear left leaf spring.  Bracket is solid.
>>  Rust bubbling under paint of quarter panel behind drivers door.
>>
>>  What is the cost of having a shop replace the floor board?  What would you
>>  offer?  He wants 2000 and I offered 1500.  If I don't take it for 2000 he
>is
>>
>>  going to donate it to a charity.  Need to let him know by Sunday.
>>
>>  It would be a complete luxury to purchase, seeing as I already have a 70 b
>>  roadster and two other late model vehicles.
>>
>>  Dereck
>>  70 mgb
>>  70 mgbgt paternal twin (car in question)

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg

Allen Bachelder
'73 B - "done"
'76 B - daily driver
'73 GT - awaiting front wings
'65 B shell - awaiting paint
'67 GT - awaiting everthing
'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
'49 YT - in "progress"

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg