Re: Determining if car has O/D

To: Steve Darby <elan@efortress.com>, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Determining if car has O/D
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:15:50 -0500
Steve,

Thank you for your guidance, but the question that you answered wasn't exactly
the one I
asked. I have an O/D installed in my car, so does James, the younger and I even
will soon
deliver the earlier O/D transmission just sold to Gerry Brinkman. What we were
questioning
was whether or not a serial number would tell us if that car was delivered with
or without
O/D from the factory. The chart in question was prepared in part by Caroline
Robinson,
without any bibliography, and is as full of gaps as Swiss Cheese is full of
holes. Is
there any documented resource from the factory that tells the same story? There
are many
true stories of cars being delivered with "incorrect" parts, it would be nice
to hear the
definitive word about the transmissions. Those mistake happen. (My first BMW, a
1970 2002
was delivered from the factory with one red and one amber rear turn signal
lenses. I know
that for a fact because I picked the car up from the pier with cosmoleen (sp)
all over
it.) (My obsession with virgin automobiles was worse back then. I have
improved, I
promise!) BTW, I never let the dealer change either lens to match the other. I
must have
driven the poor guy mad with my fanaticism for originality.

Jim