Magnette Mutilation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Magnette Mutilation
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:36:40 -0800
Ok list members.

        I am looking for votes.

        Should I mutilate a perfectly nice 1958 MG Magnette to install an
1800cc engine and late model overdrive transmission.

        Your views count.  The cutting torch is at the ready.

        I want to be able to drive this car on the highway for long (300
mile) distances.

        Speaking of cutting torches, I found a neat way of removing very
badly frozen brake drums a couple of nights ago.  I had an early MGB rear
axle assembly that had been sitting outside for years.  One drum came off
with no problem as the brake lining had seperated.  The other was rusted
solidly to the brake lining.  I removed the two nuts holding the adjuster
and the circlip locating the wheel cylinder.  Then I cut off the heads of
the two retaining pins.  Unfortunately I also had to cut the handbrake arm,
so this is a last resort only.  Once these items were cut, the brake drum
with attached shoes, springs, adjuster and cylinder came right off.
Destroying the e-brake arm was a minor cost compared to amount of time I had
spent trying to get the drum to budge.