Magnette Mutilation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Magnette Mutilation
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:06:00 -0400
Well, the 1800 will go in without mutilation.  Instead of cutting for the
O/D box, how about one of those Datsun/Nissan 280 ZX 5-speed boxes that can
be adapted to the "B" series engine.  That box will fit without cutting.
And your car will remain "all-Z"  :^)

 Do you belong to the ZMG? A guy by the name of David Lively from somewhere
in CA wrote an article on this conversion for a 1996 issue of the Z
Magnette Group Newsletter.  Check with Jeff Powell about getting this
back-issue before you cut!  If he hasn't got one and if it's OK with him I
can make a copy of mine and send it to you.

Speaking of mutilation, has anybody put the Rover-Buick 215 in a Magnette.
Now we're talking pure MG street rod.   :^)

Allen

>From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
>
>Ok list members.
>
>       I am looking for votes.
>
>       Should I mutilate a perfectly nice 1958 MG Magnette to install an
>1800cc engine and late model overdrive transmission.
>
>       Your views count.  The cutting torch is at the ready.
>
>       I want to be able to drive this car on the highway for long (300
>mile) distances.
>

>       Speaking of cutting torches, I found a neat way of removing very
>badly frozen brake drums a couple of nights ago.  I had an early MGB rear
>axle assembly that had been sitting outside for years.  One drum came off
>with no problem as the brake lining had seperated.  The other was rusted
>solidly to the brake lining.  I removed the two nuts holding the adjuster
>and the circlip locating the wheel cylinder.  Then I cut off the heads of
>the two retaining pins.  Unfortunately I also had to cut the handbrake arm,
>so this is a last resort only.  Once these items were cut, the brake drum
>with attached shoes, springs, adjuster and cylinder came right off.
>Destroying the e-brake arm was a minor cost compared to amount of time I had
>spent trying to get the drum to budge.

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg

Allen Bachelder
'73 B - "done"
'76 B - daily driver
'73 GT - awaiting front wings
'65 B shell - awaiting paint
'67 GT - awaiting everthing
'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
'49 YT - in "progress"

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg