Re: Jump Start

To: "Scott Regel" <SRegel@dpra.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jump Start
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:54:36 -0000
I am sure you will get loads of people saying it will fry your alternator,
but I have been a jumpee and a jumper on a number of occasions with a number
of cars over 30 years and not had one fail yet.

What is critical is to be absolutely sure you get positive to positive and
negative to negative, regardless of the polarity of either car.  If the cars
are different polarity don't let them touch.  Getting them round the wrong
way is likely to fry the jumpees alternator diodes (reverse voltage).

Some say the jumper should be running - unless you intend to flatten that
battery also I don't think it matters.  If it is running and you get the
leads the wriong way round then you could fry that alternator as well
(excess current).

PaulH.